The goal of the AFRON "10 Dollar Robot" Design Challenge, which ran from 15 June to 15 September 2012, was to design a new class of affordable robots for learning (especially in primary and secondary schools).
We are excited to announce below, the winners in the three categories: Tethered, Traditional (roaming), and All-In-One (self-contained).
Special thanks to all the members of the jury for this challenge:
- Dr. Ashitey Trebi-Ollennu - NASA JPL, USA
- Dr. Alaa Khamis - Associate Professor, German University in Cairo, Egypt
- Dr. M. Bernardine Dias - Associate Professor, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- Dr. Brett Browning - Senior Systems Scientist, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon Univ., USA
- Ms. Tracy Booyson - Chief Scientific Officer, Dept of Mechanical Engineering, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Dr. Sam Cubero - Assistant Professor, The Petroleum Institute, UAE
Winners: Tethered Category
|1. Lollybot (Thailand)||Dr Tom Tilley
Payap University, Chiang Mai,
|2. Baobot (USA)||Shawn H., Carlos M., Bryan S., Eric C.
Hobbyists (Baobot.org), Washington, D.C.
|3. Afrobot (USA)||Alexander Reben|
|4. RoboArm (Nigeria)||ADEBOLA Simeon O.M.
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife,
Winners: Traditional (Roaming) Category
|1. Kilobot (USA)||Michael Rubenstein, Christian Ahler, and Radhika Nagpal
Wyss Institute at Harvard University, Cambridge
|2. SwarmRobot (China)||Lutz Michaelis, Edward Jiang, Sun Wei Ze, Leo Yan, Spencer Featherstone
XinCheJian Hackerspace, Shanghai
|3. SEG (USA)||Tyler Hamer, Alexander E. Siy, Kojo Welbeck, Cagdas D. Onal, and Daniela Rus
|4. DiscBot (USA)||Joseph Schlesinger
Winners: All-in-one Category
|1. MITBOTS (India)||Karanpreet Singh, Amitesh Ranjan, Pawan Saini
|2. N-Bot (Brazil)||Rafael V. Aroca, Renata Pitta, Aquiles Burlamaqui and Luiz M. G. Gonçalves
Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte, Natal
|ALFI (Netherlands)||Diane Cleij, Ingo van der Heijden, Jeroen Claessens|
|L-BOT (Tokelau)||Laurens Weyn|
|Carve (USA)||Michael Shimniok|
Mike Robinson and Gabrielle Robinson
Penn State University
|Juno (India)||Narasimhan, Arun Varma, Joseph Antony, Madhuresh, Manigandan.C, Manikandan.A, Padmavathi, Ravi Varman, Saravanan.C, Saravana Govind, Saravanabhavanathan, Ganesan.M, Michael Antony, Prasanna, Vignesh.A, Sudhan Immanuel|
|L.I.O.S (Spain)||Oscar Rodriguez Parra|
We salute all the design challenge participants!